Old 17-02-2008, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)[_2_] Cat(h)[_2_] is offline

Default Help! Frost and planting bare-root fruit trees.

Last week end, I bought a Beurre Hardy pear and a Victoria plum,
bareroot trees, about 2m tall, from Lidl. I was planning on planting
them there and then, but other things got in the way, so I left them
in their plastic wrappers huddled up to the front SW facing facade of
the house, where a number of delicate things in pots thrive happily.
Overnight, we've had a mother of all frost, and I am wondering: would
it be better to plant the trees today, in the knowledge that another
one of those hard frosts is forecast for tomorrow night, or should I
leave them till we get past this cold snap? The trouble is, if I have
to wait, then I have to wait at least one week, possibly 2, as I will
be away next week end.
I'm concerned about leaving the trees in their wrappers.
Help?

TIA

Cat(h)