Old 17-02-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default computer question

Phisherman expounded:

I agree with not upgrading. However, if you buy a new PC, get Vista.

Not if it won't run the programs I've invested in already over the
years.

It has some improvements over XP, despite the bloat. It's search
capabilities are very good and makes XP search look lame.

Having capabilities that are rarely used are pretty useless to me.

New (inserted: Poorly written) software will always be a resource hog--memory and disk space is very
inexpensive. I used to program in assembler a long time ago, but that
language is seldom used anymore and there are few remaining
programmers with that skill or want to develop the skill. XP will be
around for a long time since there are slower machines that still are
useful.

Computers have reached the point where the general user doesn't have
much need for more 'speed'. Vista is nothing more than Micro$oft's
latest way to make money - that doesn't make it necessary.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts