Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Nick Harrison

Default dividing strelitzia reginae

Hi,
I've a couple of these grown from seed now 7 and 8 years old.
I believe these like to be pot bound but now the huge tangled mass of
tuberous roots leaves hardly any room for soil in the 25litre pots.
They are flowering at the moment (or about to) but I thought I'd try
and divide them later in the season.
Has anyone done this? Do you try and prise the roots apart or cut
through them with a bread kinife or something? Looking at he leaves
there is an obvious point of division but when I tried repotting last
year the roots were entangled but quite fragile.
Any suggestions?
Regards,
Nick
Nick Harrison Lancaster UK