Old 18-02-2008, 04:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Peach drooling

"0tterbot" wrote in message

Coul dbe something in it. If you think about it, if you wore very few
clothes and lived with very little reliable shelter, you too would think
that rain was bad luck :-))

hm - but the people lived near wetlands (hence the title) so would
appreciate rain...

Yebbut..... we graze cattle and thus need to rain to grow the feed, but if I
was nekked and living in a obugh shelter, I still woulnd't look forawrd to
the rain despite what it did for the cattle.

i just reckon they've been freaking people out for
millennia, that's all!!

Could be. But have you ever heard a Powerful Owl? A woman being murdered
in the bush!

i love them! they don't bother me at all.

They haven't started eating your house or trees or nippin of the top of
vegetables for 'fun' I assume ;-))

no! the most they ever do (so far!!) is fly about a bit & sit in the big
trees saying the odd "hello cocky" ;-) they must only pass through on the
way to your place g

the bane of my life re vegetables is the frigging wallabies (who are so
adorable i secretly love them of course - but i've had a gutful of their
behaviour). yesterday i found i have lost my second-prize pumpkin, dammit!
all chewed up. and it's been in the lettuces, too, and i have enough
problems with lettuce as it is without some beast chewing half of them off
just when they are going beautifully.

this naughty wallaby is really playing me like a banjo, you know. he is
the master of the random attack after weeks of peace.

They are lovely but...

My mother loved her garden and as a child I well remember the care and
attention she gave it but all too frequently some mongrel animal would break
in and wreak havoc. I swore when I grew up and developed an interest in
gardening that this was not going to be something I would ever tolerate.

During the drought we had 2 huge buck roos who would come in and loll on the
lawn. That would have been fine if all they did was loll about and look
decorative. It wasn't and I was a bit wary of them anyway as I have had 2
people I know actually attacked by a roo - not deliberately, just came
across them suddenly and they reared back on their tails and did the feet up
thing.

For weeks I chased then each time I saw them but in the end all they would
do is hop the fence and head out about 100 yards and stop and turn back to
watch me. I eventually pointed a metal stick at one and he fell over. The
other one came back the next day, but hasn't been seen since.