Old 18-02-2008, 10:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Seed potatoes, Sydney, NSw, Australia, where?

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

me too. i don't mind the rants - what i mind is where they act contrary to
their rants. imo you can't rant about monsanto then advocate using roundup
before sowing wildflower seeds. you can't rant about f1 hybrids & then sell
f1 hybrids. (i actually don't have a problem with f1 hybrids anyway!)

So I wasn't imagining it, then. Thought they couldn't be that hypocritical...

mainly my gripes are pragmatic though. 4 out of 5 orders last year just went
missing. this spring i had a couple of seeds sprout which shouldn't have
been in the packet at all. etc.

I've only ever had one problem and it was rectified promptly -- yes, it was
improperly packed.

it's things like parsnips which have me disenchanted. they take a VERRRRRY
long time, possibly to get just about nothing from them.

Ah -- there is a trick to them, which I heard about from Margaret Simons in
her lovely little book "Wheelbarrows, chooks and children". You need to let
the parsnips go to seed.

Once they go to seed, you have a seed-bank in the soil. They will pop up
everywhere and grow decently, because the better-adapted ones will survive.
Every now and again, let a few more go to seed (yes, I know it's hard...) to
keep the process going.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/