Old 18-02-2008, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default question

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 18/2/08 09:04, in article ,
| "Charlie Pridham" wrote:
|
| Some will flower one year from seed some take two but crocus are prolific
| seeders, may be a mouse moved a seed pod or two!
|
| Thanks Charlie and could well be. We have them in various spots in the
| garden but these have appeared 'from nowhere' - I like happy accidents of
| that sort!

I am cherishing some of my Danae racemosa seedlings that did that, and
they are fascinating. In addition to the juvenile leaves being quite
different, they are INCREDIBLY slow growing. My guess is that you are
talking about 10-20 years from seed to adult height - but they spread
sideways at a reasonable rate once they get there!

Its seeds were viable in a couple of hot summers about 5 years ago; it
always sets seed, but they had rarely germinated before. That may be
more to do with the conditions for the seedlings establishing themselves,
of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.