Old 18-02-2008, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default Really strong hand trowel

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
| Rob says...
| What is the recommended, strongest hand trowel?
| I have been through many but, until now all have deformed at the
| "neck" when subject to strong, but not abnormal, leverage.
| Once bent there, they are permanently weakened.
| I need a super-tough variety.
| Any recommendations here ?
|
| Ours is really solid and had a number of years heavy use.
| It is made by Wilkinson Sword and is stainless steel with a
| wooden handle. The Mrs says she thinks we bought it from
| Homebase approx 5 years ago.
|
| In the past we've had the cheap all metal ones which bend
| at the neck or all plastic ones which just snap. You get
| what you pay for.

No, you don't. I have been looking for a similar one with a
(c. 1') long handle for a long time, and everything expensive I
have seen has been gimmicky.

The one I have nearly worn out I bought in Woolworths in the
1960s :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I got a traditional long handled trowel & weeder off my Wife for
christmas,they were from a garden centre and even though they havent had
much use so far i would recommend them at £13 & £ 7 .They have a good feel &
seem strong. Even though alot of tools i own get damaged due to improper use
!
Keith
Nottingham