Old 05-04-2003, 09:20 AM
hedgehog

Default Cornish gardens

I was there a couple of weeks ago & visited Heligan, Eden & Trebah - most of
the other places didn't open until Easter. Trebah was top of my list-
beautiful valley with a beach at the end. Great tree ferns, enormous
magnolias, peonies & camellias all in bloom. They will mostly be over by
now but there was also a fantastic gunnera swamp which will be coming along
nicely with massed hydrangeas & rhododendrons to follow. It is near
Falmouth. Heligan was OK & Eden was heaving, but Trebah gets my vote.

"jane" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:56:45 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan Morton"
wrote:

~"kathie" wrote in message
~ We're planning a long weekend in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, staying
~near
~ Falmouth. There seem to be several beautiful gardens in the area, but

~ think we'll only have time to visit one (in addition to the Eden

project).
~
~ Which would be the best at this time of year?
~
~ Thanks
~ --
~ Kathie
~
~Trelissick?
~
~

I rather like the NTs Lanhydrock, as they have a huge collection of
magnolias and rhododendrons. It's best in early May, though, as they have
extensive bluebell woods. I've never made it to Heligan, as I've always
been based in north Cornwall.

This is also a good reference site:
http://www.gardensincornwall.co.uk

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!