Old 19-02-2008, 01:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Seed potatoes, Sydney, NSw, Australia, where?

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Terryc wrote:

Chookie wrote:

Why bother growing spuds? They take up a lot of space for a long period in
the vegie patch but are pretty cheap to buy. Very good if you are trying
improve your soil, but I don't think I'd bother otherwise.

Err, if you apply that logic,then you wouldn't grow anything.

ER, yes you would -- you'd favour vegies that are expensive to buy or that
taste significantly better fresh.

The taste is the reason here. Also relaxing activity, most of the time.

Asparagus, tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, sweet
corn, for example.

But I'm speaking as a back yard gardener with fairly limited space.

Same here. I am not really prepared to do what my grandfather did and
have the veges right up to the back door.

I have grown spuds, but they weren't that rewarding IMO --
probably the drought had something to do with it. THey did improve the soil a
bit, but I think the parsnips are doing an even better job.

We tend to like trying new stuff as well as rolling over old reliables.
Our major problem is stuff below the ground is only small. We still need
to crack the problem.

We are currently debating 4 tonne of river sand to improve drainage, The
beds are raised 2'-4' but it is heavy clay derived soil and I think some
stuff just doesn't like it.

Also, might be the continual rain of gum leaves, but the tree is
definitely staying.