Old 05-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Drakanthus

Default Chicken Manure. Is it safe?

I've been offered an ample supply of chicken manure. Its fresh off the
shed floor so has straw etc mixed into it and it hasnt been treated.

Is it safe to use on a flower and veg patch?

My mum reckons its not safe. She mentioned something about salmonela.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Personally I wouldn't put it on a veg patch - especially near salad crops or
vegetables eaten raw where there is more chance of eating salmonella contaminated
food.
I'd still be reluctant to put it around flowers as well.
I suspect that the commercially available "pelleted chicken manure" has been
sterilised.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)