Old 18-02-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default question

On 18/2/08 20:41, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:42:26 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 18/2/08 12:42, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Been hovering just above zero at night here which is a relief as things
are further ahead

We had a slight frost this morning but so far so good for e.g. Echiums and
the like.

Night-time minima of about 4C over the last few days down here, with
no sign of frost :-) This whole winter has been very mild so far,
with only two light ground frosts, one each in November and December,
and no air frosts. But there's still time......

It sounds bizarre even to me but after 10 years of living in England, I'm
still trying to get used to any frost at all! Our winters are pretty mild
here but I was used to leaving Pelargoniums out all year round and having
them bloom again in the following year, for example. I grew Ballota in a
crack in some granite paving once and it was up and through a very mature
Camellia within 3 years. To me, this is inhospitably cold and it isn't a
jot or tittle of what other parts of Britain have been getting. It's the
east wind that does it - the original lazy wind. Too lazy to go round you
so it goes right through you.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk