Old 18-02-2008, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Really strong hand trowel

"Rob" wrote...
What is the recommended, strongest hand trowel?
I have been through many but, until now all have deformed at the
"neck" when subject to strong, but not abnormal, leverage.
Once bent there, they are permanently weakened.
I need a super-tough variety.
Any recommendations here ?

I use a number of hand trowels, my preference is for a narrow bladed trowel
as I grow my plants in "Rootrainers" so I need a deep thin hole to plant
them in.

The Wolf thin bladed trowel seems rather good, only had it for a year or
two, stainless with a pleasant to grip plastic handle and well made, another
I've had for years is welded and enamel coated but no name that I remember,
yet another ordinary shaped trowel was given away at a local GC and is also
welded and enamelled and seems very strong such that I have been using it
today to dig up old bricks and help lay a new block paving path, it's as
solid as a rock. Rings when I hit a stone/brick.
I'll have a look in the back of the Defender tomorrow and see if I can see a
name on either. :-)

Those pressed sheet steel things I see littering the GCs are not worth house
room.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden