Old 18-02-2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Joe[_12_] Joe[_12_] is offline

Default Pond question -- suggestions for hiding top of liner

wrote:

On 18 Feb, 01:26, Joe wrote:
*wrote:
On 17 Feb, 21:16, Joe wrote:
*wrote:
We have a circular pond around 12' in diameter.The rim is paved, but
the slabs don't quite extend over the edge of the pond, leaving a
strip of pond liner exposed. Depending on how much/little rain we
have, this strip ranges from a couple of inches to about a foot above
the level of the water.

Why not just keep enough water in it to keep the level just below the top?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Easier said than done, Joe. I don't want it to be a high maintenance
pond, having to constantly check the level and top it up (it's some
distance from the house). I actually like the fluctuating level as
it's a natural thing, and prefer that it eventually gets topped up
again with rainwater rather than the chemically water from our mains
supply.

Do you keep fish?

Joe - Well, I did have a dozen thriving goldfish until the heron
visited a few months ago. I will get some more, but will wait till
after the tadpole season.

Jim - thanks, I'll take a look at junipers.

Will, the reason I asked if you kept fish was, that if you do, you should
not count on evaporation and rain to set your pond level. You will want to
make water changes of about 10% every few weeks (depending on fish load.) If
you don't remove water, impurities tend to stay - despite good filtration.