Old 19-02-2008, 11:02 AM
adavisus adavisus is offline
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

We want to cover up this strip, partly because it's unsightly, and
partly because of the apparent problems caused by excessive sunlight
on liners. But we aren't sure how best to do this.

So we thought about attaching some sort of
webbing around this exposed strip and growing some plants that would
grow through the netting and become a thickish barrier between the
sunlight and the liner. These could be planted either submerged at the
pond edge, or planted above, and let to trail downwards and grow
around the netting.

Is there a better idea than this, and are there any suggestions for
which plants would happily thread their way through netting like this,
and wouldn't mind being dunked in pond water?

Will

PS Will post the same question on the ponds.moderated forum, though
that has a mainly US readership.
The mainly US readership has similar, if bigger gripes, of course. What with hotter Summers, colder winters and all that.

Yups masking the pesky pond edge, its something that can be a niggle to figure out.

Plants which excel... Parrots feather, Pennywort, Marsilea, Creeping Jenny, Bogbean, very effective scrambling aquatic plants of the shallow water margin, fairly easy to arrange their cascading growing habit along the areas that need a perk...

Black pond liner is not so inclined to turn brittle in the sun, the black carbon content blocks uv, unlike other tones of plastic which uv damages much faster. One way to reduce the uv impact, is to use spare offcuts of liner material over the pond liner and cover the more exposed sunny areas.

Some folk resort to casting fake rocks which are shaped to overlap the pond edge, some make a shelf and set blocks or rocks at the water level. With a bit of ingenuity pond edges can be very effectively masked of the fluctuating bare liner look...

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/