Old 19-02-2008, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default computer question

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:04:16 -0600, "Dioclese" NONE
wrote:

Pretty much same/similar experiences here. No, not a
Barbie doll guy.

I'm a girl. I loved Barbie.

i'm a girl. i hated dolls, Barbie in particular. but that
irrelevant
i agree that we played outside most of the time, but then, so
does my kid. i tend to shock a lot of parents. my son is 7. he's
quite "busy", as in scatterbrained & all over the place. running
around outside, building forts & climbing trees are great
outlets for all that energy.
i booted him out the door to play alone at around 18 months old
(he was walking at 6 months & climbing trees at 13 months). i
gave him verbal boundries of where he was allowed to play, so
that he would always be visible from a window, & let him go.
pampering kids isn't doing them a favor.
last summer he 'earned' the privilege of going to play at the
pond by himself. this summer he wants to learn whittling &
carving, so he's working on more self-control (oh my god! you
aren't thinking of giving a 7 year old a knife, are you?!).

My perception is that children are guided by their peers,
not their parents. TV and their peers require certain stuff
for children to be fulfilled, if you will. Thereby, deem
it a necessity. Their parents consent to all the
accessories you mention, plus others not mentioned. Thus,
the child's peers guide their parents.

Whose fault is that, the peers?

of course not. many parents are either spineless, or trying to
relive their childhoods vicariously through their kids. neither
is good for the kids.
of course, sitting inside playing mindless video games or
futzing on myspace isn't healthy either, especially if it's
unlimited or unsupervised.
BTW, peer influence isn't really a big thing under age 10 or
so, & hopefully by then the parents have instilled *some* values
into a kid...

Parents should actively guide their children. Spending
alot of time with them playing video games, watching the
latest DVD or pay-for movie, and such is not active
involvement. Not saying you intended to communicate
contrary to that, but, that others do not perceive that
notion.

If I inferred it, it certainly was not my intention and by
your reply I think you know what I was getting at.
However, the same dullards will once again pound the doors
down next Christmas to buy the latest 600 xbox and the kids
suffer.

it's only nominally for the kids, as i said...
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there