Old 19-02-2008, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Propagate Bergenia: how?

"Lord0" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have a Bergenia, or two, in my garden which are in need in of
lifting/splitting/propagation. Both have large thick black stems (one
stem per plant), about three feet long, with most of the new growth
near the thin end of the "trunk".

What is the best way to divide these plants? i.e. convert one plant
into two (or more)

I am tempted just to chop the thick stem into say 6 inch lengths and
replant them, kinda like a Yucca, but I supect this may prove fatal.

thoughts?

It's not easy to kill Bergenia. You may well find that the stems are already
rooting where they've been touching the ground. A lump I threw in the
compost was still obviously alive nearly a year later. Or you could indeed
split the clump with a spade. Go for it.

Steve