Old 19-02-2008, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help with trees

I live in zone 5, too cold for figs so I have them in cheap, $5 pots and they produce
fine. I also have pears, peaches in big pots, rubbermaids.
http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/figs/figgrove.htm

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:34:38 -0800, "Val" wrote:
Gosh, wonder what I have been doing wrong with my container grown 3 way
apple and peach tree on my NW facing third floor balcony. I have them in
round plastic tubs, about 20" across and 18" deep. I used potting soil on
sale at Home Depot when I planted them eight years ago and they are healthy
and produce beautifully each year. The second year I had them I did use an
oil spray on them. Too messy and it stinks right outside my living room door
(my balcony is only 7' x 8') so I stopped that. Since then I just hand pick
the few nasties I see that the birds have missed. I have some bird feeders
in these trees and I read and have been told I'm not supposed to do that
either but it hasn't proven detrimental. I have very minimal loss due to
bird damage. Other than tossing some alfalfa meal on top of the soil in the
early spring and a few foliar feeds of kelp early A.M. from April to August
they don't get any kind of special care. I do water them a few times a week
or more during the heat of summer if they look dry. A light, quick pruning
only if a branch is growing in an un-esthetically pleasing direction. I've
had a gorgeous tree peony in a similar sized pot for twelve years now. It's
also thriving with very similar care. I must be holding my mouth right or
something in Zone 8b.

Val