Old 19-02-2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Too late for tulips?

IGot2P wrote:
SE Iowa, zone 5

Last fall we purchased a couple of hundred tulip bulbs simply because
they were on sale at Menards or somewhere similar. As happens many years
we never got around to getting them planted last fall. They are all
still in bags in our shop (about 50 degrees F) and some are starting to
sprout.

Can we save them by doing any of the following?

1.) Simply plant them as is in VERY early spring.
2.) Stick them in our deep freeze until spring and then plant.
3.) Bury them outside under some mulch and then plant in spring.

Anyway suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

us

I would say plant them ASAP and add a couple of inches of mulch but
don't expect any decent blooms -- or any blooms at all -- from the
survivors during the first season. Definitely don't put them in the
deepfreeze. The worst that will happen is that the bulbs won't develop
at all and in that case you will have added some expensive organic
material to your bed and will have learned a lesson.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]