Old 19-02-2008, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default computer question

Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:28:58 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

As a person with ADHD I've _tried_ "meditation and relaxation
techniques". Doesn't work. Too much noise inside the head. "Quiet
it" you say. HOW?

How long a period did you meditate and what was the duration of each
session?

As long as I could sit still without developing an urge to kill
something.

What did you meditate on and which technique did you use?

Whatever was before me at the time and when I was doing it there
wasn't discussion of "techniques", you just did it. At least those
around me were doing it. I was struggling to stay sane.

Meditation takes committment and practice over the long haul. It
doesn't work after several times. Calming the mind has been
achieved
by Buddhists for thousands of years. If you told a Tibetan they had
ADHD they'd laugh hysterically with wonder at what you were talking
about. The mind also can quiet when people don't have over
stimulation, which I described in my first post.

Perhaps no Tibetan suffers from ADHD. There is a small body of
evidence that suggests that it is hereditary.

You say that "calming the mind has been achieved by Buddhists for
thousands of years". While I am certain that that is true for _some_
Buddhists are you saying that all Buddhists everywhere have achieved
it?

I'm sorry, but saying that some technique is going to work for a
person with a neurological disorder because it has worked for others
who do not have that disorder is kind of pointless.

With regard to "over stimulation", I lived out in the sticks and my
folks didn't even have a radio, so where did I get this
"overstimulation"?

You really don't seem to know much about ADHD.

So how does that 90K compare with other occupations in the area?

A police officer makes about 70,000 a electronics solderer makes
about
35 to 40. Special Ed is paid at a much higher rate than teaching
students without special needs. Teachers do not make 90k in New
York.
Nurses make about 65 with a 10-15,000 dollar signing bonus. It's
all
screwey.

So it sounds like it was pretty good pay.

You can't buy a house on Long Island or anywhere downstate for that
matter without a minimum of a 20 percent down payment in cash. Even
then, they will opt for you to take a mortgage up to 110 percent of
the loan to help with the almost 15,000 in closing fees. It's
insane.
Add that to a car payment, 3.50 for a gallon of gas to sit in a
parking lot to and from work for hours in many cases and there, you
have not much left for anything.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)