Old 19-02-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Recommendations on online merchant for blueberry bushes and grapevines?

Sheldon wrote:
Steve wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

I ended up getting three
times as much plant for three times less money, and no shipping
costs.

If you didn't buy from an online source, how do you know that you got
"three times as much plant for three times less money"? How can you
compare what you bought to what you never saw?

Very easy.... the net sources list prices and plant size/age....
can't get any easier to compare. And you made my point, at the
nursery I can *see* the actual plant I'm buying.

The plants I bought from the local nursery (a very reputable, and
internationally famous nursery) were over 2' tall, well branched, and
growing in 5 gallon containers. Those on the net were a measly few
inch tall twigs and mostly bare root. Some web sites were selling
larger potted plants but for the size I got they wanted at least $75
and exhorbitant shipping costs, plus still I wouldn't get to see what
they're sending until it arrived. Last year I noticed my local Lowes
was selling blueberry plants; about 6" tall twigs thinner than a soda
straw in 4" pots, 2 yr old the label said, but only $3.99... still a
much better value than sight unseen from the net. If someone is on a
tight budget and has patience to wait for plants to grow than I would
recommend the type I saw at Lowes... at those prices they can buy a
few extra in case some don't make it. I've never had a problem
getting credit/exchange at Lowes but with nursery stock you can't get
the time back, so with crop plants I would buy a few extra.

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.. I checked several locals and they
don't have anything worth while.. Plus I think they suck..

As for Lowes, they carry what's local to the region, so I hadn't seen
any blueberries.. Maybe I missed them though.. Will have to check, been
a while since I was in shopping.

Regardless, thanks for the advice on both fronts..