Old 05-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Virgin Net News

Default deer in my garden

Hi Jim & All,
I would like to add that I also have a set up like Wacko's. I use off the
shelf electric fencer posts and use wooden posts (with insulators) at
corners, in 4-5 years not one deer have I had in my plot. It's interesting
to see them walk round the boundary of the fence, at a respectful distance.
They could almost just step over these fences but it seems that when they
have had a shock, they keep their distance!
Best Regards
Stephen
~

Wacko! wrote in message
.. .
I have one strand at about 24 inches, and another at about 42 inches. In
theory, deer could easily jump over this, but in 10 years they never have.
I also put two wires down low at about 3 inches and 7 inches for

groundhogs.
This also works quite well, although it's absolutely essential to keep

grass
off the lower wires for fences that aren't powerful enough to kill
vegetation.

Every now and then some poor little skunk blunders into the lower wires
during his nightly grub run. The results are both memorable and
spectacular.

Go to a good farm supply store, and take a look around. It's not too hard
once you see the parts involved. You will need a controller, and

something
to mount it on. Also some kind of fence posts or rods, insulators, fence
wire, maybe a grounding rod & clamp, and perhaps some hookup wire. You
don't have to build a gate - they have a nifty spring loaded insulator to
open and close the fence.

Good luck! Wacko!

"Wayne" wrote in message
i have tried everything! now, i am ready to put up an electric fence
to keep them out. any advice would be greatly appreciated. how high
does an electric fence need to be? 4 feet? 6 feet? 8 feet? and
how far apart do the strands of wire need to be? 6"? 12"?

thanks in advance.

wayne