Old 05-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Martin Brown

Default Ground elder & plants to grow with it

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

It does, but more for bindweed and horsetail. The former prefers light
soils and the latter heavier, though it is really a preference for the
amount of water.

Are we talking the big white bindweed here or the little pink one? I
know the little pink one seems to like quite dry soils, but the big
white one is very happy in my wet soil.

The little pink one.

Fascinating. The only one that gives me trouble here (on heavy clay) is the
big white one.
I can even afford to let small amounts of the pink field bindweed grow as an
ornamental.

The big white one grows here, but isn't a serious
weed - in particular, it weakens very fast if you keep cutting it down.

Not here it doesn't. It is the big white climbing one that can hide inside
established shrubs that gives me the most trouble. Easy enough to see off in
open ground but a real PITA in established borders.

This is why the little pink one is called field bindweed and the large
white one hedge bindweed - the latter will not survive long in fields.

Both would be nice plants if they weren't invasive. I grow their more
colourful tropical cousins intentionally.

Regards,
Martin Brown