Old 20-02-2008, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Digital projectors? bit OT

On Feb 20, 8:45*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 19/2/08 19:34, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

I do talks for garden clubs but my slide projector is starting to show
its age and will need replacing. I was thinking that I ought to consider
changing over to a digital projector but there seem to be several types.
I seldom project onto a bigger than 4'X4' screen.
Also digital images, what's the sort of file size that's required for
reasonable quality? and will scanning my existing slides give good enough
quality? (I have 2000+ slides and the thought of having to retake them
all is a bit daunting!)
I would be grateful for any hints, tips or comments from people who have
changed over.

I had my first web site lesson this am and the tutor used one of these - a
new gadget IME! *I'll forward your query to him and ask him what he thinks.
He was doing a direct computer to projector job.

I have been watching other speakers who are using them and have decided
that a stand alone model would be best (one less thing to go wrong!) but
its realy the images that are giving me cause for concern, particuarly
ones which are a historical sequence telling a story, I mean you can go
back and retake a flower picture but you can not go back in time! if I
can scan some of those I think I may take the plunge

FWIW, I scanned photos (not slides) to retrace the life story of a
friend (see other post), on a bog standard HP scanner with bog
standard resolution. A few of the pics were in very poor condition,
some of them several decades old, creased, yellow and sellotaped, and
I had to photoshop them a bit to clean them up, but overall, the
effect was good. The screen was large, about 3 metres by 2 (rough
estimate), and the projector good enough to fill that screen from a
relatively short distance (an important quality in a projector). I
have to say most of the scanned photos looked quite good on the night.
I have been told by someone in the know that scanning negatives (and
slides?) would give better results than scanning printed copies -
which should be good news for your project if it is correct?

Cat(h)