Old 20-02-2008, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Base for shed

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:08:35 -0000, Honeysuckle Bunch wrote:

Any advice would be welcome. I need a base for a shed 6ft x 8ft, I have
had one quote for £400.00 for labour only, I am to supply the materials
i.e. cement, sand, chippings and paving slabs. I was told to buy 10
bags of each.

cough 10 bags of cement! and equal sand and chippings, naw.

What is the ground like? Is it firm and not prone to flooding? Full size
3' x 2' slabs(*) laid and firmly leveled straight on firm ground will do..
Then some 4x4 treated bearers on top to put the shed floor on. I'd be
tempted to fix the shed floor joists to the bearers with galvanised nails
but then we are rather exposed and our 8x6 shed has been rolled over
(length wise) by the wind. It now has 1 1/2" square posts driven at least
18" into the ground at each corner and then bolted to the shed frame 3 or
4' up and at the bottom. It doesn't move now...

£400 labour, sheesh. How long did he say it'll take? 2 days 8/hrs day that
is still £25/hr... I wouldn't expect it take more than a day.

(*) If you can still get them that big, H&S might have decreed that they
are too heavy.

--
Cheers
Dave.