Old 20-02-2008, 04:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Aspley OS Show - Bulbophyllum aurantiacum (schillerianum)

This might be a stupid suggestion, but at this point is a mount really
necessary? I understand people grow Vandas without a basket or other
structure. They just support the main truck on a wire hanger and are done
with it. Perhaps the same could be done by weaving thin wire around the
rhizomes of your plant & then to a hanger?

K Barrett

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
Don't know where it started, Kathy, but you're right - it'a a popular
mount
style now. I guess its real advantage is the relative ease of replacing
the
medium when it gets too old. I have a quite large Dockrillia schoenina on
piece of tree limb - the roots go for feet. But the limb is now rotting &
can't see how to remove the orchid without destroying half its root
structure.
Now, if I had mounted it on gutter guard ....

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 07:57:33 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

That method of mounting is making its way around the globe. Being merely
sphagnum moss wrapped with gutter guard or other hardware cloth-like
material. I'm amazed to see its gotten to Oz already. I only lerned of it
2-3 months ago. Or maybe its gotten to the West coast already, depending
on
who came up with it 'first'.

K Barrett
"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
. ..
The plant was labelled B. aurantiacum, which I understand to be a
superseded
taxon, B. schillerianum being currently accepted (unless you take David
Jones's
recent major restructure, which would have it as Oxysepala
schilleriana).

It's distributed from NE Queensland to Central E NSW.
Dave Gillingham

Dave Gillingham