Old 21-02-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
KC[_2_] KC[_2_] is offline

Default Just starting out...

On Feb 19, 2:46*pm, Akumos wrote:
Hi all

I'm brand new to gardening and hav just bought my greenhouse. Going to
sow some seeds tomorrow and just querying some of the instructions.
Whats do the following actually mean:

Firm gently?

Press down with your hand until the soil compacts a small amount.

Keep moist? (what's moist?)

Don't let it dry out. Surface dryness is normal but under the surface
should be damp. Try this: put some soil in your hand and squeeze it.
When you open your fist, if the soil stays in a ball, it is damp/
moist. If it crumbles, it is dry.

If i'm growing a veg in seed tray, does this mean water daily?)

Depends on the size of the seed tray, but light watering every 3rd day
would probably do it.

KC