Old 21-02-2008, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Base for shed

Paul Luton wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
| | You'd probably just need a few bags of sharp sand to make
levelling the | slabs easier, but cement isn't usually necessary. Get
one level and pack | the rest out as you go.

Dead right. This is what I did - for my 10'x8' shed:

Levelled the ground, trod it down well, raked it level, and iterated
until it was within about 1/2" of the same level all over.

Laid a 1-2" layer of sharp sand, levelled, trod and raked, and laid
the slabs, adjusting by adding or removing sand as necessary.

Put several tanalised bearers (2"x4", if I recall), long side up,
to keep the underneath ventilated, and put the shed on those.

I think that I screwed it down, but that isn't usually critical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Fifteen years ago I put a 6*8 shed on 4"*4" tanalised timber bearers
directly on the soil. A few months ago we moved the shed and the bearers
were as new. ( we did have guttering /water butt so the area under the
shed was bone dry). Time taken - minutes, expense - minimal.

Paul Luton

Using concrete posts as bearers is an alternative