Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Kay Easton

Default Neighbours Help

In article , Sarah
Dale writes

Erm - you can also 'water' it with some recycled beer (urine) if you feel
brave. I don't do this, so can't comment on smell or effectiveness. My
heap is open, but I do add all coffee and tea dregs (as well as coffee
grounds and tea bags), also sometimes the water from boing veg / pasta,
the dreg ends of gravy etc..

Somewhat strangly, given that we do not eat a lot of citrus fruit, my heap
nearly always smells faintly of orange peel.... (well so I think at any
rate), however, when I used to run a plastic dalek heap, I occasionaly got
really smelly lumps in the compost where material had turned into silage
rather than compost. But this was nearly always due to a big clump of one
type of material being rammed in tight.

A long time ago I used to live in a house with no indoor toilet. Since
it also had no heating in the bedroom, there was absolutely no
temptation to make night time visits to the toilet down the garden, so
we used to keep a bucket by the back door, and added the contents to the
hole in the ground into which I used to tip the veg peelings and tea
leaves. It was the best and sweetest compost I've ever made.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: