Old 21-02-2008, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Digital projectors? bit OT

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
Going back to your original posting. Had you thought of just
replacing your existing Slide Projector and not upgrading to
Electronics? You have everything there for just a new replacement.
No transfer of Slides or anything.

Yes its being considered, and it is the cheapest option, but there is
starting to be an issue with slide film and of course slides do
deteriate over time,

Very little if they are stored properly. What makes you think electronic
media will have a better life storage? I am afraid that some of the quoted
lifetimes for CD and DVD roms may be a little optimistic!

If you want to go ahead and digitise slides, it might help to remember that
a typical slide (and it will depend on the film speed) is thought to be
equivalent to about 14Mp. So it might be thought that is the quality at
which you should scan the slides. Modern day scanners will do that, but
then you have to bear in mind that most projectors (unless you have a bob or
two to lash out!) project at less than 1Mp (1024 x 768)! Still, once the
slides are digitised at high resolution, you will be able to make the most
of projector resolution improvements.

then there is the camera, mine is even older
than the
slide projector and I can already get better results with the digital
camera (mainly I admit to taking a lot more pictures rather than the
camera being any better!)

And you can "tickle" the pictures with an editor to improve things. That is
very useful.

But where I have been to other peoples talks I have been impressed
with how much more versitile a digital projector is.

There are clearly a lot of variables to take account of before making
a move.

One variable you may not have thought about. You are probably used to
buying a spare lamp on occasion for your slide projector. Bear in mind that
a replacement bulb for a digital projector will cost perhaps 10 times as
much (£200 - 300 is not unusual)!

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)