Old 21-02-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Begonia Tubers

"chazer" wrote in message

Hi,
I have grown begonia tubers for my hanging baskets for the last few
year and to start them I put them into individual pots in soil from a
peat based grow bag and they grow great. I have just planted them in
the pot's for this year and I have just noticed the grow bag is Peat
Free which I must have bought by mistake. Will they still grow OK as I
know they like peat. Or will I have to re-pot them.

I've started my begonias in both kinds of potting soil. Both work fine IMO.
You'll have more of a set back disturbing the roots repotting them than if
you just let them go. I found bottom heat was more of an advantage to
starting the begonia tubers than type of starting medium. I keep my home
relatively cool. I just slide an old heating pad under the pan my starter
pots are in and keep it on the low temperature setting. I've found this
brings on a better root system and has a 2-3 week jump than when I used no
bottom heat.

Val