Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Rate of growth of Young Bur Oaks

This is off of Bennie Simpson's site,
http://dallas.tamu.edu/native/index.html and describes your tree in the
following way: =

http://horticulture.tamu.edu:7998/or...namentals&-fo=
rmat=3Dnativesdetail.html&-lay=3Dlayout%20%231&-sortfield=3Dspecies&infos=
ource=3DTexas%20native%20trees&common%20name=3Dbur %20oak&-recid=3D32993&-=
find=3D

Many other websites state it is a slow grower. It grows better in wetter
areas. Its taprrot is twice as long as its height. You prob have great
soil and a high water table. You also may have over-fertized it
somewhat.

I'm sure some of this ng's arborists have some feedback for you.

Roland Saldanha wrote:
=

I have a young Bur Oak on the front lawn. I estimate it has grown clos=

to 4-5 feet in height from July to now! (currently stands at about 20
feet). Every time I water the lawn (every week =AD10 days if there is =

no
rain) it seems to respond with more growth! In July I fertilized with t=

ree
spikes from Callahan=B9s using amounts based on the diameter at breast
height as suggested on the packets (current diameter about 5 inches). =

have not fertilized the lawn. Everything I read says Bur oaks grow slo=

(for example Sally Wasowski in Native Texas Plants, says a young Bur oa=

on her property grew about 12 feet in 9 years. Other sources give rang=

es
of 1-2 feet a year in natural stands of saplings depending on weather.
So my 4-5 feet of growth seems like a lot.
=

I do not believe I am over watering. Since I followed directions on th=

tree spikes I assume I have not over fertilized though this is a
possibility. I am concerned that the tree may be growing too fast and=

the wood will be weak. I would appreciate any insights into how fast i=

too fast for this kind of tree. Secondly, I am curious as to how I sho=

uld
manage the situation to keep both lawn and tree happy.
=

Lastly does anybody have good data on rate of growth of urban trees, th=

eir
response to fertilizer (either directly applied or applied when feeding=

lawn) and the ultimate longevity/strength of the tree?
=

Roland

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP