Old 21-02-2008, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Base for shed

Honeysuckle Bunch wrote:

Does this quote of £400.00 sound fair, bearing in mind that the small shed
is costing £200.00.

It sounds like a rip-off to me but then I haven't done a shed base for
ages. Perhaps it now takes more than a couple of hours using ready
mixed agregate or maybe nobody supplies the stuff in your part of the
world.

I did think that he wanted rather a lot cement and sand to lay paving
stones, perhaps he was going to take the excess away with him. He told me
to buy the materials because he had a cash flow problem. There is Builders
Merchants five minutes away from me which stocks ready made aggregate but
this chap said that he wanted cement, sand and chippings because he has his
cement mixer.

If you are laying slabs, then my rule of thumb is that 1 tonne of sand
covers 10 square metres.
600kg is roughly about right for your area, if it was to be used for a
driveway - you will not be putting heavy loads on it, so it'd be a lot
less for your use, though I do agree that 10 bags (250kg) is about
right. I'd only use 1 bag of cement with that.

If he was laying a full concrete base (though it wouldnt be very thick
with the amount of material he has requested), then the price is still a
little high, that'd easily be done in a day, even if the concrete was
mixed in a barrow.

A budget option would be to buy 4 8ft concrete fence posts at ~£12 each,
lay them down, get them flat, then put the shed on top(thats a tip
garnered from uk.diy).
Alan.