Old 22-02-2008, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default parasene weed wand/"paraffin burner"

Dave Liquorice says...
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:40:13 GMT, Fred wrote:

What's the best way to get rid of brambles?

Repeated cutting back will do for them, eventually. Repeated glyphosphate
will also kill them. Note the repeated, they are tough beggers. I may be
wrong but trying to dig out might be a bad move as each little bit of root
left will grow back as a new plant...

I like Blackberries so I'd keep a plant ina corner some where but it would
need watching to keep under control.

Best to get a specific bramble / brushwood weedkiller. I
repeatedly used glyphosate on mine originally and it just
made them look poorly for a few weeks with yellowing leaves
and malformed growth, then they just carried on growing
again. I then discovered a bramble specific weedkiller and
it killed them off nicely, including some in another area
that hadn't already been "weakened" by glyphosate.

Depending on how much of a jungle the OP has got, digging
them up by the roots can be an option, but as I discovered
they tend to layer themselves and spread that way, so
unless you get every bit they come back to haunt you.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.