Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
jOhN

Default Afids (sp) problem

I've been weaning off of pesticides and herbicides for several years and now
have a new problem...........a plague of geckos. They have taken over my hot
tub enclosure, storage shed, are regularly found in the garage, and have
begun showing up in the house. We frequently find crushed geckos in the
sliding glass door track and along the hinges of swinging doors. Moving
lumber usually results in some gecko damage also. Got any ideas?

We also have a couple of rats that could feed a family of four. Any snake
that showed up that could take them down would be worthy of a special on
AnimalPlanet. I suppose live trapping is the most acceptable pro-active
control method in the city limits.

"animaux" wrote in message
I think most people would be very surprised to find out if they'd leave

things
be in the garden, the beneficial insects will show up. Every year, in our
garden we see more and more critters. Usually the beneficial insects show

up
first. Then a great array of birds. Mockingbirds will eat tons of
grasshoppers, as an example. Then the reptiles. All sorts of lizards,

snakes
and of course mice and rats. The mice and rats are usually always there,

and if
we leave them be, the snakes show up. They have shown up in our yard this

year,
finally.

The problem I have with Rose of Sharon is grasshoppers. I did use

NoloBait (a
biological control for locusts) as soon as I saw the first, tiny nymphs.

It cut
down the population by 2/3. There was a noticeable difference in how many

I had
this year. I'll put it out again next spring, every week a little

more...to get
all the nymphs infected that I can.

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 02:08:40 GMT, "GwRdE"

wrote:

The environmental friendly way to get rid of them is go to most nurseries
and buy LadyBugs and a light mosquito net. You put the net over the bush
and let the ladybugs go underneath. They eat the aphids.

Good Luck!

"bobwhite" wrote in message
: On some of our Rose-of-Sharon bushes, we have Aphids (sp).
:
: What is the best way to get rid of them? Prefer environment friendly
: method.
:
: Thanks, Bob
: