Old 22-02-2008, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default anyone using mycorrhizae?

In article ,
Emery Davis writes:

| Mycorrhizae is making a fair amount of noise in the maple world
| "outre pond," I'm wondering if anyone on the rational side is using
| it. This is symbiotic fungus, essentially, although there are many
| different forms available.

Yes, they are used for a few plants which don't grow well without
mycorrhiza, and where the fungus is relatively tractable. Blackwood
(a type of eucalypt) is one, if I recall. You can also regard
truffles as mycorrhiza, and some of them are cultivated.

| I'm considering trying with this spring's plantings. Any experts
| recommend a brand available by internet?

You have been reading too much transpondian New Age drivel, haven't
you? :-)

Some fungi associate with many plants, and some plants associate with
many fungi (birch is the classic), but only a few combinations will
work. Some plants don't form mycorrhizal associations at all (e.g.
yew), and some are almost impossible to induce artificially (e.g.
many terrestrial orchids).

The first question is to ask what you want it for, the second is
whether those plants form mycorrhizal associations, the third is
whether it has been induced naturally, and the fourth is whether
that species is available. Only fifthly worry about the brand!

Sorry, but ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.