Old 23-02-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Drip Irrigation, Which is Better?

1.) 1/2" Drip Tape with emitters welded to it on 12" Spacing.

At around $47 for 500', it's a good price but I'm wondering about the
emitters clogging over time.. Hmmm..

Mine clogged from time to time, and a filter didn't do any good. It was a
real pain... you usually don't notice it until you have some plants showing
enough stress to make it obvious that something is wrong. If you have the
system on automatic, and you take off for a week, and if the weather is hot
and dry, you can loose some plants.

I used drip irrigation for years. In the end, I got tired of the hassle and
bought a couple of impact sprinklers, and now I just sprinkle the garden
once a week. I have my own well, so I have more water then I know what to do
with. I set up the sprinklers around the perimiter of the garden and just
water everything. I use a half dozen empty tunafish cans placed here and
there to make sure I'm watering enough. Works great, very little labor
involved, no maintenance expenses, very cheap setup. The only restriction
with this is that you have to have a cheap and plentiful water supply.

If you want to install a drip system....be sure to buy a good quality
pressure regulator. Those plastic inline regulators that cost $5-10 are
worthless. Don't waste your money on one. You can get an adequate metal
regulator for about $20-25.

I ran 1/2 inch flex hose from faucet through the garden, and used the 1/4
punch fittings into 1/4 flex hose with inline drippers here and there as
needed. Good for a small garden. Way too expensive for a large garden.

Towards the end I used 1/2 PVC for long runs - it's much more durable then
flexible 1/2 inch hose. Then you use 1/2 threaded fittings where you want to
plug into it.. In fact, you can run PVC through your entire garden. You can
get adaptors with 1/2" pipe thread that you can attach to your PVC system,
and run drip fittings from there. I'm not sure how much that would cost, it
might not be worth the expense and trouble to you. It didn't cost much, but
in the end it was still more trouble then it was worth to me.