Old 22-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Tim B

Default Potatoes in containers?

1. Get a bushel basket. If you can't find one, a laundry basket will do
nicely but will not be nearly as purdy.

2. Cut up a couple of seed potatoes, two eyes per section, and drop them
in.

3. Cover with 2-3 inches of nice potting soil.

4. Place in a pleasing, sunny location. Mine go at the edge of the garden
behind the strawberries which makes the whole thing look very homey.

5. As they grow, gradually put in more soil. Just like hilling up potatoes
in the garden, except they're in a basket.

6. Stop adding soil when you get to within an inch or so of the top.

7. Harvest any time after they start dying back. To harvest, turn the
basket upside down.

It works great. When you dump the basket upside down, it will be half full
of potatoes. And you don't lose a one of them or cut any of them up
accidentally while looking for them.

I have not used a barrel for this, but I believe the basket, being
breathable, is part of the success factor. Plus it drains easily. After
2-3 years the bottom will rot out of the basket. Never fear, keep on using
it, the taters will like the potting soil so much they won't root down much
into the regular garden soil.

Once you've done it this way you won't go back to the regular in-the-row way
.... unless of course you need a whole lot of taters.

"stan" wrote in message ...
I would like to grow some potatoes this year. I have no ground to put
them in. Any suggestions? I've heard of 55 gallon drums being used.
Planting then adding soil as the plant/plants grow. Any advice is
appreciated. Particularly personal experience.
TIA
Stan zone 5 and warmer today