Old 24-02-2008, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soil Acidity

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:40:09 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Having just tested my allotment soil, it was coming out at a ph of
about 8+, however I didn't have distilled water to hand so possibly
the local water skewed the true reading, is this likely, the water on
it's own was fairly alkaline?.
Anyhow, should it be required, what do you add to the soil to make it
more acidic?

Many thanks

Peter

Peter,

You can make soil more acid with an annual dose of Sequestrine of
Iron.

Steve

That certainly helps with some acid loving shrubs and trees but it does
not make the soil more acid and only benifits those plants which have
trouble getting enough iron on alkaline soils, and as anyone who has
tried will tell you on truly acid soils its an up hill struggle and the
plants never do that well. If you realy want acid soil - Move!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk