Old 24-02-2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Bees

In article wildbilly-B9A4F7.22235423022008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-DF7F20.17515223022008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au,
says...
In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

I am curious, though, in producing organic honey, how do you get a bee
to go just to organic flowers?

You can manage your bees organically, but you really can't claim to
provide organic honey. Unless you're in the middle of 8,000 square
acres.

What then does organic bee keeping mean, if the product isn't organic?

It starts with not forcing the bees to grow unnaturally large. The rest
amounts to philosophy of maintenance and the substances used for
maintenance.

What is unnaturally large and what is the philosophy? Why do you respond
to a question that you do not answer?

Is 8,000 acres a legal definition or hyperbole?

It's not hyperbole. Bees will travel substantial distances.

What, you nitwit, is substantial? Do you mean 10,534.75 feet? I asked a
specific question. Do you have a specific answer? Next time get your
caca together before you respond, or don't respond if you don't know
what the freak you're talking about. We are supposed to be adults here.
I'm not your babysitter.

My memory was prompting 4 miles or more for long-range foraging (as the
bee flies) depending on the investment-return to the hive. It was late
in my day and I was fading quickly.

Relevant numbers are published on the net within easy reach. Imperial
metric converters are all over the place.

So FWIW
http://www.lasi.group.shef.ac.uk/pdf/brfuncecol2000.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forage_(honeybee)

.... and if you don't like my answers, or you don't like my on-line
persona your killfile is a button away. And to not put too fine a point
on it, so's mine.

We are as you say, "supposed to be adults here." Adults are polite.

Oh, I know you tried, now be quiet and try to look presentable.