Old 24-02-2008, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Vinegar: a systemic herbicide?

In article ,
Eddy writes:

| When vinegar is used as a herbicide, does it act systemically?

That is not a question :-)

| I would like to use vinegar on the grass, provided it has a permanent
| effect on the roots.

Not merely doesn't it have a permanent effect on the roots, it
doesn't have a significant effect on the leaves. It is purely and
simply a weak acid. You shouldn't take so much notice of the New
Age Merkins (which is where I assume that you heard of vinegar as a
herbicide and the other myths you have picked up).

Glyphosate should do what you want, and will not impair the planting
of groundcover, but may need several applications for deep-rooted
perennial weeds. It will not cause the trouble you are afraid of
in any normal soils. Alternatively, sodium chlorate will degrade to
salt, which will wash away, but will need repeated applications.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.