Old 24-02-2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Bees

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

What then does organic bee keeping mean, if the product isn't organic?
Is 8,000 acres a legal definition or hyperbole?

No, it's not hyperbole, Billy. That's the radius a honeybee will
forage within.

Organic beekeeping means putting nothing in the hive but the honeybee
and comb and managing all of the pests/problems organically.

OK. I'll google my questions.

Hoping to find something to disprove me? Knock yourself out.

I wonder if your googling will lead you here?
http://www.beesource.com/pov/organic/nosb.htm

Then again, I suppose that's totally discredited because I posted it.

I understand that there is a whole "freak" of paranoids out lookin' for
you. Good luck with that.

Meantime I came up with:

http://www.dutchgoldhoney.com/store/info.asp

What Makes Honey Organic?

At the Bee Yard:

Organic honey must come from organic bees. Hives that have existing
honey in them are forbidden to become organic. Organic honey must be
produced from naturally foraging bee colonies that are located at least
2 miles (straight-line flight) from any source that could cause the
honey to contain pesticides or herbicides. Within this 2 mile radius no
pesticides or herbicides may be used, and must not have had any chemical
application in the previous 3 years. Feeding of bees is prohibited. If
feeding is necessary to prevent starvation, the honey produced is not
organic.

(Note: A circle with an area of 8,000 acres [square or not] has a
radius, to two places, of 3.2 km or 10,534.75 feet. Yeah, yeah, I know,
the last four digits are noise and the 5 in the third place should have
be rounded up. I'm off the clock, OK?)

Hives need to have all of their parts (supers, queen excluders, etc.)
numbered to prevent accidental use in non organic hives. All hive parts
must be made of wood. Comb foundations must be made from organic beeswax.

The extraction facility must be certified organic.

All organic honey must be certified by an approved organic certifying
agency. The USDA's NOP program (National Organic Program) certifies the
agencies. Dutch Gold and McLure's are certified by PCO (Pennsylvania
Certified Organic) who inspects our facilities on behalf of the USDA.
Dutch Gold only accepts honey from areas that are certified organic by
an NOP approved certifier; furthermore the certifier must have
physically visited the organic producing area.

http://www.theorganicreport.com/page...anic_honey.cfm

According to USDA regulations, honey cannot be labeled certified organic
if its production uses even traces of prohibited chemicals, drugs or
antibiotics. Non-organic beekeepers routinely use sulfa compounds and
antibiotics to control bee diseases, carbolic acid to remove honey from
the hive and calcium cyanide to kill colonies before extracting the
honey?, and of course conventional honeybees gather nectar from plants
that have been sprayed with pesticides. The Lancet, a prestigious
international medical journal, reported in 1993 that conventionally
produced honey may contain residues of these chemicals and should be
used with caution?, which is one of the reasons many of us jump for joy
when we find a reliable source of certified organic honey.

http://www.ysorganic.com/organic.html

Organic bee colonies are not maintained with the use of any chemicals!

Terramycin for treating foulbrood disease,

Apistan for Verroa mites,

GardStar for treating small hive beetles, nor

Bee Go to chase bees instead of using a smoker.

We meet all the standards of Organic Certification including: GMO Free,
Land Certification, Beehives Certification, Producer Certification,
Processor Certification.
--------

I gave a cursory look at the site you posted Ann (still with us?)
http://www.beesource.com/pov/organic/nosb.htm and it looks like the site
I was looking for. Thanks. (Now try and figure out what I meant by that.)

Another case solved Kato, my little friend. To all of our readers, I
want to wish you 'appiness;-)
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars