Old 24-02-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
misterroy misterroy is offline

Default Soil Acidity

On Feb 24, 10:59*am, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:53:07 -0800 (PST), misterroy

wrote:

the two suggestions I was given, alkali sandy soil, were loads of
manure, or potassium sulphate, the sulphate will hang about in another
salt while the potassium leeches away.

The manure I can understand, but it's effect would be slow and it
would require prolonged application.

But I'm struggling to see why potassium sulphate should have any
effect at all even on neutral soils, let alone chalky ones where you'd
need to add so much potassium sulphate that the soil would be unfit
for cultivation, even assuming it was capable of working as you say.
But I'm sceptical about the chemistry of your explanation.

I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Did you try
either suggestion, and if so, what happened?

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Hi, I have tried neither yet, only discovered my alkalinity a month
ago, I am going the manure root though. I'm on a sandy soil with large
amount of shells in it so my calcium content is a bit more limited
than a chalk soil.