Old 25-02-2008, 01:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default New Pond Question

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:23:32 CST, Peter Pan wrote:

Will you be adding plants to it?
What are your fish plans?
Koi or goldfish?
What kind of filtration did you decide on? (In pond, out of pond, upflow
downflow, etc.?) ~ jan

I will be adding plants in the spring ( not sure what) as well as fish.
I'm weighing the pros and cons of both Koi and GF (Not together) I'm
leaning towards koi at this point. I have a Tetra PUV 4000 with UV
pressure filter (out of pond). I'll be adding a skimmer also this year
to help with debris. Any suggestions on what else to buy would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Since you're thinking koi, I highly recommend when it gets warm to set up a
Quarantine tank (stock tank or kiddy pool). Buy 3 koi and put in them in
the Q-tank, leave them there while you get pond planted and pond temps go
up, over the next several weeks. Once they appear healthy put 2 in pond,
buy 2 more koi, put in Q-tank, wait several weeks, add the old & new to
pond, keep one new in Q-tank, buy 2 more koi, repeat process. This makes
cycling the pond hardly noticeable, you will have to watch the cycle on the
stock tank till it adjusts.

Buy test kits, pH, KH, Ammonia (salicylate type) & Nitrite kits and a
thermometer for both Q-tank and pond. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us