Old 25-02-2008, 03:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Henry & Carolyn Henry & Carolyn is offline

Default frozen pond

Thanks, but I meant that most of the pond was frozen, some fish included,
not just the surface! At any rate, hubby got some of the ice off and
rescued some fish, including our 4 large koi! They are now in the garage in
a rubbermaid tub with a bubbler. Water is still a bit like a slushy, but
they seem to be ok :-) We will do partial water changes every once in a
while, then when it warms up we will put them outside in a kiddy pool till
we can redo our pond. It was also caving in. Lesson learned : DON'T PUT
PUMP ON A TIMER IN THE WINTER! KEEP IT RUNNING!!!!

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:35:17 CST, "Henry & Carolyn"
wrote:

Hubby just discovered that our pond pump quit and pond is frozen. I've
heard people had that happen before and fish still survived. Is there any
possibility of that?
Carolyn

Sure, if the pond was fairly clean going into winter, fish were small
and/or pond was large, gallons/fish ratio low. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us