Old 25-02-2008, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Raised Bed Vegetable Planting

In article ,
Richard Price wrote:

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum so a big hello!!!

I have a copule of quesitions and would appreciate some advice.

1. I have built a raised bed for Vegs, (2.4mx 1.2m x 0.3m) and have
used treated timber. I have covered the sides of the timber with a
plastic liner so none of the soil will be touching the timber itself.
However, below the bed I have driven stakes into the original soil,
which are also made of treated wood. Now, considering the new soil will
be in contact with the old soil, will the preservatives from wood seep
through from the soil below into the soil above?

Yes. As the soil on top dries out, moisture, carrying the wood
preservative, will be wicked to the surface and to the roots of your
plants. Producing poisonous foods isn't necessarily a bad thing. It all
depends on how you feel about the people who will be eating from this
patch.

2. I need to buy soil for the planter and was wondering what is best to
get. My mate has just bought soil which is £40 a ton and it cost him
£100 to fill his planter! (3m x 1.2m x 0.45m)

30% - 40% sand, 30% - 40% silt, and 20% - 30% clay, then thoroughly mix
with as much compost and other organic matter as you can, plus manure,
and bone meal. Of course all this is pointless from a consumers point of
view, if your garden is poisoned. You could plant some nice ornamentals
in your box though.

Thanks in advice for any advice...

--

Billy