Old 26-02-2008, 07:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Pear ripness

G'day David

Not sure where you are located, but pears are usually picked end of
March to early April in the Central West of NSW. They continue to ripen
once they have been picked, and they don't travel well (to market) when
fully ripe. When I buy half a dozen I put them in the fridge crisper
and put one out each day on the kitchen windowsill to ripen a bit more.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Pears will ripen off the tree. OK but

When is it best to pull them? When they are big? How big?

Will they be better if left to ripen on the tree?

David