Old 26-02-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I don't believe it.

Sacha says...
On 25/2/08 13:49, in article
, "Des
Higgins" wrote:

On Feb 24, 10:31 pm, Dave Hill wrote:
This evening as I was cooking supper I heard a buzzing and looked
towards the light to see a Queen Wasp, after a few mins of trying to
get her somewhere I could swat her things came to the boil snd I had
to leave her , when I looked again she had gone somewhere where I
couldn't find her, but I expect she'll be back.
I've never had a queen wasp around this early in the year.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I saw several queen bumble bees (2 or 3) a couple of weeks ago; just
at the end of the dreadful wet weather. They get badly hit by cold if
they come out too early.

Des

We've had bumble bees round here for several weeks now but not today. There
was a lot of white on the lawn this morning and it's a grey, cold day.

I rescued a huge bumble bee from upstairs yesterday. It was
trying desperately to get out of a window and making a heck
of a racket. Not the easiest things to rescue. Putting a
pot over it was the easy bit, but trying to slide a lid
between the window and the bee without squishing or
severing any legs was tricky. Finally got it outside and
removed the lid and it spent a couple of minutes trying to
get out via the bottom of the box rather than the open top.
Not the smartest of creatures. Good deed for the day. I
love bumble bees, something strangely cute about them
(unlike wasps - shudder).
--
David in Normandy.

subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.