Old 26-02-2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Default Bees

Jangchub expounded:

There was a piece on 60 Minutes on Sunday evening about the bees.
There is some sort of virus which is causing complete hive collapse
and death. This one keeper brings his bees all over the country to
pollinate farmers crops and recently his entire colony, which is in
the tens of millions of bees all died. He ad to borrow money to build
new hives and bees and he said if it happens again he is broke and
will be out of business. He's been doing this for over thirty years.

Without his bees, the blueberries in Maine would not exist. This
problem is much more serious than we know. Imagine, a business which
hauls bees across the country to rent to farmers. That's a sign and
it ain't good.

V, I'm a very active beekeeper and keep up with all of the current
research. It hasn't been established let that a virus has lead to
colony collapse disorder. The only sure thing that's known is that
the bees are in trouble. Many of us think it's the chemicals used in
agriculture, combined with the chemicals that have been used by any
beekeeper who keeps bees commercially (mainly, although hobbyists have
been using many of them, also). It also seems to strike migratory
beekeepers more than hobbyists. Michael Bush
(http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm) will tell you that beekeepers on his
Yahoo organic beekeeping group haven't lost a single hive to CCD.

What all of this tells me is that we're up against agribusiness again,
chemical companies, the 8000 pound elephant in the middle of the room
that no one wants to talk about......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts