Old 26-02-2008, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default I don't believe it.

... she won't sting.

Do you promise it won't sting? While I have some affection
for bumble bees it is also mixed with a certain
apprehension - especially the thought of cupping one
between my hands.

I promise. If you're stung by a bumble bee you deserve it - it takes a lot
of pressure to make her use her sting.

Spiders are not a problem, but then they never seem to
inflict any bites, so I always cup those between my hands
and take them outside. It feels a bit tickly though while
they run round and round inside my cupped hands.

A bumble bee won't do that if she's chilled.

Our spiders don't bite, I'm told. I don't know for certain but I've never
been bitten by one and I've handled many.

The first time a bumble bee begins to tremble in your hands it can be a bit
unnerving, you have to resist the temptation to part your hands and drop
her. but you're a man, you can doi it! You're a LOT bigger than she is :-)

Mary