Old 26-02-2008, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default Rotten Musa Basjoo

"PK" wrote in message
"echinosum" wrote in message

Keeping a banana pseudostem alive in your garden through the winter in
Britain can be done, but it isn't easy, and depends on you being
somewhere well sheltered from frost. Another option is to lift them and
over-winter in a heated green house, which is what they do at a
municipal garden near where I am writing from (Charing Cross, London).
But that can be a big job.

I've had mine unwrapped this winter (Sheltered spot, but by no means frost
free, London SW19) and the four stems are just beginning to grow away.

I've kept them that way since the clump size/multiple stems made wrapping
impractical - they tend to look pretty scrappy in the spring and the outer
rotted leaf bases need to be stripped away, but they survive. I did it the
first time when the original stem got too large, I left in un wrapped with
the intention of cutting to ground level, but is just grew away as normal
and flowered!

pk

Thanks all , i will keep my fingers crossed ,it is a big plant with big root
system hence it being in the garden.I got it from one of the show garden
sell offs at gardeners world show last year it was in a 2ft min pot which
was full of roots & very heavy.
Thanks Keith
Nottingham